WHOLE BODY CRYOTHERAPY RESEARCH
Some of the Physiological and Psychological changes (including blood changes) with Whole Body Cryotherapy as evident in research studies
* Decrease in histamines in RA patients
* Decrease in total oxidative stress in MS patients, especially depressed patients
* Depressive symptoms significantly lowered using the 21-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HDRS)
* LDL cholesterol decrease with HDL increase with 10 sessions of WBC
* Increase in parasympathetic tone using heart rate variability (HRV) similar to that seen with exercise
* WBC induced an increase in the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) by 36% and glutathione peroxidase by 68%
* Increase in maximum anaerobic power in males with 10 sessions of WBC
* Significantly reduced the severity of depressive and anxiety symptoms and increased the life satisfaction
* Significant improvements in spinal mobility in patients with AS
* Pain and disease activity scores decreased significantly, and, subsequently, also the functional scores showed a significant amelioration. Furthermore, there was a significant reduction in TNF-alpha (p < 0.01) and IL-1 (p < 0.05)
* For patients with rheumatoid arthritis, DAS28 (Disease Activity Score) and VAS (visual analog scale) were determined. A significant reduction of both parameters was found (DAS 3.9 +/- 1.22 vs. 3.4 +/- 1.08; p < 0.01; VAS 51.4 +/- 16.62 vs. 37.9 +/- 19.13; p < 0.01). BASDAI (Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index) was analyzed for patients with ankylosing spondylitis, and also showed a significant reduction (4.4 +/- 1.91 vs. 3.1 +/- 1.34; p = 0.01) Improvement for RA and AS patients.
* Significant decrease in depressive and anxiety disorders compared to control groups after 3 weeks of WBC
* Immediately after WBC, apart from the well-known analgesic effect, we detect changes in patients’ mental state such as improvement of mood, deep relaxation, freshening up, consolation, euphoria. This unusual state lasts for a long time after ending the cycle of cryotherapy
* After completing a total of ten whole-body therapy sessions a significant increase in WBC count, especially lymphocytes and monocytes was noted. There was an increase in level of IL6 after first and the last cryostimulation the most pronounced after tenth session. On the contrary the TAS level decreased significant after the treatment. It was concluded that repeated expositions to extremely low temperatures use in cryostimulation have mobilization effect on immunological system.
* Cryotherapy reduces pain and swellings, causes skeletal muscles relaxation and increase of their force, also, motion range in treated joints increases. Thus, cryotherapy seems to fulfill all necessary conditions for rehabilitation in osteoporosis
* WBC was effective in reducing the inflammatory process. Both the decrease in cytokines activity pro-inflammatory, and increase in cytokines anti-inflammatory.
* After 10 exposures of WBCT Melatonin statistically significant increased activity of SOD and CAT in erythrocytes of MS patients treated with WBCT. Results of our study indicate significant increase of TAS level in plasma of MS patients of WBCT treatment
* The analysis of results showed that in response to WBC, the level of anti-inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and IL-10 increased while Il-1α cytokine level decreased. It seems that the most advantageous sequence was the series of 20 WBC due to the longest lasting effects of stimulation after the completion of the whole series of treatments